Women of Mathematics throughout Europe – A Gallery of Portraits
From 18 Sept to 10 Oct 2017 the University of Leeds will be hosting in the Edward Boyle Library Foyer a Photographic Exhibition titled “Women of Mathematics throughout Europe – A Gallery of Portraits”.
This exhibition is travelling around Europe and the world and it portraits 13 women mathematicians at work. The exhibition is intended to break down barriers and stereotypes about mathematics, encouraging young people (male and female) to believe in their capacities and express their potential.
The mathematicians were photographed and interviewed. The full interviews together with many other pictures are collected in the exhibition catalogue, which is available to consult and buy at the exhibition in Leeds or through the publishing house Verlag am Fluss.
Photographs by Noel Tovia Matoff and excerpts of interviews by Sylvie Paycha and Sara Azzali.
Photography Competition – Breaking Down Maths Stereotypes
All undergraduate and postgraduate students at the University of Leeds are invited to submit a picture to enter the competition and get the chance to win £100 and £50 in Amazon vouchers!
TOPIC: Breaking Down Stereotypes in the Mathematical Sciences
PRIZE: 1st – £100 Amazon voucher; 2nd – £50 Amazon Voucher
DEADLINE: Friday 22nd September 2017, 5pm UK time
JUDGING PANEL: Dominic Hopkinson and Elena Issoglio
JUDGING CRITERIA: ambition, creativity, originality, quality of photograph
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PICTURE: details to appear soon here
To enter the competition, please make sure you adhere to the following terms and conditions:
- You must be a student at the University of Leeds to enter.
- You may only submit images you produced yourself.
- You must make sure all those who feature in the photo are happy to be part of the image.
- By submitting an image, you are giving the School of Mathematics permission to use it for publicity, for example as website content, displays, posters, etc.
The winners will be announced on Wednesday 27 September 2017, during the event “Public Talks in Mathematics – challenges and rewards”, see below for more details.
You must come in person to the event to collect the prize.
Public Talks in Mathematics – Challenges and Rewards
On Wednesday 27 September 2017 there will be three public talks about being a mathematician at University. This event is aimed at promoting the Photographic Exhibition, so after the talks there will be a tour of the Exhibition and the winners of the Photo Competition will be announced.
The whole event is free and open to everyone.
Conference room (TBC)
- 3:00 – 3:30 Prof Louise Walker (The University of Manchester, UK) – teaching focused
- 3:40 – 4:10 Dr Elizabeth Quaglia (Royal Holloway, University of London, UK) – research focused
- 4:10 – 4:30 Coffee Break
- 4:30 – 5:00 Prof Karin Baur (Graz University, Austria) – work-life balance focused
Edward Boyle Library Foyer
- 5:15 – 5:30 Photo Competition Prize Ceremony
- 5:30 – 6:00 Tour of the Photo Exhibition and Networking Opportunities
- 6:00 – onwards Wine Reception & Nibbles
For any questions, please contact Elena at e.issoglio[at]leeds.ac.uk or Mike at r.m.l.evans[at]leeds.ac.uk